Wushan Hiking Trail
Located within Nanhua District, Wushan health trail is built in the complex sectors of Central Mountain Range. The trail is built on the ridgeline, and the whole journey has a total of 12 kilometers. It is an intermediate hiking environment rarely seen in southern Taiwan offering a panorama view overlooking Tainan Plain, Laonong River terrace and Nanhua Dam. The starting points of the trail include one on the west at the entrance of Southern Cross-Island Highway in Xiaguilin, Yushan Village and another one at the South High junction of the 3rd Taiwan Provincial Road in Jinmaliao. Signs are displayed at both mountaineering intersections, which are easily identifiable by visitors. The midway attraction of the health trail is the viewing platform behind Zizhusi Mountain.
Blessed with unique landscape coupled with the construction and planning of people, many scenic spots can be found in Nanhua. Baoguangshengdian Temple in Nanhua District is listed as one of the top 18 scenic spots in Tainan County. Also known as Yushan Baoguang Temple, it was established in 1976. Covering approximately 7 hectares, it is a four-story building, and a Yiguandao meeting place of the grandest scale in southern Taiwan. An attached Baoguang Museum can be found in the temple, wherein many shells, paintings and folk heritage are collected.
Nanhua's Longhu Temple is located on Mount Wushan by the east of the 3rd Taiwan provincial Road. It mainly worships Guanyin Buddha, and has more than 300 years of history. The great statue of Guanyin Buddha in front of the temple is magnificent, and can be seen from the 3rd Taiwan Provincial Road and the Tai-20th Highway. It is one of the well-known landmark in Nanhua Township. The temple's site is known as the Rohan door; leaning on 5 jade-like hills, the temple faces the larynx of a dragon; coupled with the birth of 7 stars, the scenery is elegant and provides an endless view of the universe.
In 1663, Lin Wen-yi from Zhangzhou made a request to the ancient patron saint of his house, Guanyin Buddha, inviting it to come to Taiwan. It had successively settled down in various places before being moved to Nanhuan's Donghe Village in 1816, where it performed great miracles. Therefore, sometime during 1862 to 1874, it was asked to be the patron saint of the local area. The temple had been rebuilt several times throughout history before its final appearance today.
Go pass Longhu Temple, and go along the mountain road to reach Jinguangshanhoudezizhu Temple. 900 meters above sea level, it is locally known as "Zhuzijian." It faces Jianan Plain, allowing one to look into the distant mountains in Kaohsiung, as well as the near view of rolling hills. Facing such beautiful scenery, one would feel relaxed and happy. Behind it, there is a former site of gold mining cave, which is the ruin left by the gold mining activity during the Japanese colonial rule. The depth of the cave reaches up to ten meters. Zizhu Temple is not only a place for worshipping folk belief, but also a venue for recreations.
Macaque in Mount Wushan
Mount Wufeng macaques protected area is next to Longhu Temple in Mount Wushan. Mount Wufeng is located at the mountainside of the south peak of Mount Wangyelun in Wushan, Nanhua. It is 500 to 600 meters above sea level, which is just like the Flower and Fruit Mountain in "Journey to the West." There is a large population of Formosan macaques here that have been fed and taken care of by Mr. Lin Ping-hsiu since the year 1989. It is the main habitat of Formosan macaques and is the main ecological conservation leisure venue in Nanhua District. In recent years, the aroma of coffee often wafts from Wushan area, which has become the best place for people to hike and relax on holidays.
It's construction was approved in 1986, and the sealing and water storing started in July 1993. It was estimated that the perennial water supply of the dam is at the daily amount of about 800,000 tons, and it would effectively solve the issue of water shortage and improve the water quality in Tainan and Kaohsiung, meeting the water needs of the region for 90 years to come. There are many waterfalls and valleys at the upstream of Nanhua Dam in Guanshan Village. There is also a "waterfall of exquisite feelings." Next to it, in the large rock in the pool, there is a cave similar to water curtain cave. There is also Guizitou River, which can be trekked; Santai sacred tree and Dachu fire pit. Interested? You are welcome to pay a visit. However, as these places are undeveloped and are water source protection areas, you must not breach any rules in relation to water resource protection and exercise caution during your visits.
Theme Park (Journey of the Source)
Underneath Nanhua Dam is the ancient Jiaobanian battlefield. Nanhua Township Office (now Nanhua District Office) established "Journey of the Source Park" on this land, which has an area of nearly 90 hectares. Facilities provided in the park include water facilities, ecological pool, Love of Bees Museum, presentation of the ecology of bees, and hiking trails. The Township Office (now District Office) asked the Ministry of National Defense for scrapped weapons to place in the "Military History Park" in the Journey of the Source Park. The display has been completed and you now see the army's M42 tank, the air force's c119 transport aircraft, the 5-inch artillery and landing craft on the navy's frigates. Imagine the ancient battlefield of 1915 and the weapons used in World War II. As a generation stepping into the 21st century, how do you feel?
Nanhua Matsu Temple
Nanhua Matsu Temple was built in 1698, which was 301 years ago. It was refurbished in 1718, and by keeping the plaque with the words, "yu tian tong gong," it shows what a long history the building has had. The main god this temple enshrined is Our Lady of the Heavens. According to legend, it is the god worshipped by the ancestors of the ancient, Li Hsien-fu, after they moved to Taiwan. The ancestral temple is located in Meizhou, Putian County, Fujian Province. As this god wielded its power to protect many people and performed miracles repeatedly, its believers increased day by day.
In 1997, the retired chief, Chen Chun-lin suggested that the temple be expanded and reconstructed. With the strong support of the chairman, all the members and believers, the temple became so grand looking. The infrastructure project and the plaza of today were also completed with the help of Liao Hsi-jen, who was the chief and who also believed in Matsu and other Gods. He secured funding in order to assist.
Xipu community is located on Tai-20th B line, and is the gateway that leads to Nanhua District. Although the community started developing rather late, it participated in the community forestry program organized by the Council of Agriculture, and discovered the endemic plant, "rock begonia." Later, the community started to promote independent creation with the goal of being ecologically friendly. Welcome to the unexplored back garden of Xipu community to look for the most beautiful and rare rock begonia and enjoy close-up appreciation of its beauty.